An article in the Alturas Plaindealer, December 16, 1927 reported “last Saturday evening, a number of business and professional men of Alturas met at the Congregational Church to discuss the advisability of forming a Rotary Club in Alturas.”
The presentation of the new charter was held at the Niles hotel March 2, 1928. Over 200 Rotarians, wives, guests, and visiting dignitaries, arrived by train and auto. After the dinner meeting and program, a dance was held at the MUHS Hall, with music by Huicks Collegians.
The club held its first official meeting at the Ladies Civic Club on March 6, 1928. A few months later, the meeting place was moved to the Niles Hotel, where it remained until 1975 when temporary closing of the Niles caused it to move to the Brass Rail. In 2014, the club returned to the Niles Hotel.
Chartered: January 28, 1928
Club: #517 District: #5190
Member Alturas Chamber of Commerce